Display Energy Certificates DEC

Display Energy Certificates are required for Public buildings over 1000sqm occupied or part occupied by public authorities or by institutions providing public services, such as Council offices, Schools, Colleges, Universities and Hospitals and any other building accessed by the public.
FMC Services can provide your Display Energy Certificates, all DEC assessments are professionally carried out by our team of Accredited Energy Assessors.

What is a DEC?
As part of the UK & Ireland’s response to the Energy Performance in Buildings Directive (EPBD), Display Energy Certificates (DECs) are required for all public buildings over 1,000 m2 from 1st January 2009. The certificates will need to be displayed in all buildings that are frequently used by members of the public and they are a measure of the Operational Rating, based on historical energy consumptions and a benchmark comparison with other similar buildings.
Only an accredited Energy Assessor, who is a member of an accreditation scheme, can produce a DEC. We can assist with gathering the essential data and surveying the relevant buildings, leading to the production of DECs.  An Advisory Report, providing valuable information on specific energy-saving opportunities, will also accompany the DEC for each building.
This requirement is in addition to the requirement for an Energy Performance Certificate when a public building is constructed, sold or rented out. This is a requirement from 1st January 2009.
Please contact us for more information or advice.

The definition of buildings in the public domain are principally places where members of the public have access to services. Examples of such buildings include: 
Public Libraries
Schools & Education Centres
Hospitals (Private Hospitals are excluded)
Care Homes under Local Authority control
NHS trusts
Executive Agencies of the Government
Statutory regulatory bodies
Leisure Centres (but not private clubs)
Public golf club houses
Museums and Art Galleries which are sponsored by public authorities

Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, the Operational Rating, and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity and other meters.
The DEC should be clearly displayed at all times in a prominent place clearly visible to the public. A DEC is always accompanied by an Advisory Report that lists cost effective measures to improve the energy rating of the building.
Advisory Report
This report is a listing of recommendations provided by the energy assessor after completion of the energy survey. It will detail improvements that would improve the energy rating of the building. Such recommendations may include improved glazing or lighting for example, heating systems etc.
Display Energy Certificates are only required for buildings that are occupied by a public authority or an institution providing a public service to a large number of persons that with a total useful area greater than 1,000 m2, they are valid for one year and the accompanying Advisory Report is valid for 7 years.

What does a Display Energy Certificate look like?
An example is shown opposite, the actual design is yet to be finalised but will be of A3 size format. It will be similar to the domestic counterpart in that it will display energy ratings in an A to G format, where A is the highest rating, and G the lowest rating. These certificates must be displayed in a prominent place within the building. The energy usage and carbon index calculations will be shown on the certificate. There will be penalties applied to the operators of buildings who fail to display a valid energy performance certificate & failure to supply the accompanying advisory report.

 In the longer term, the Government has announced its intention to consult on whether this requirement should be extended to include private sector buildings occupied by commercial organisations where large numbers of members of the public regularly visit the building. This has yet to be defined and would be subject to separate legislation.