Energy Performance Certificate EPC

By January 2009, the action of selling or renting of a commercial building triggers the need for a commercial energy performance certificate
Please contact us if you have any queries regarding Commercial EPC.
FMC’s personal are fully accredited Level 3 & 4 Energy Assessors who trained with BRE, and  are accredited by government approved accreditation schemes are suitably qualified for the provision of Non-Domestic EPCs and Recommendation reports using government approved calculation software.
EPC Guidance Notes:
An EPC conveys summary information about the potential energy performance of a building, it's fabric and services. The Energy Performance Certificate gives an A to G rating - called the Asset Rating - of energy performance based on CO2 emissions and includes recommendations for improvement. EPCs will be accompanied by a Recommendation Report highlighting measures which, if adopted, have the potential to save energy and money. Energy Performance Certificates will remain valid for ten years unless the building is modified.
Recent changes to the implementation dates for commercial EPCs allows more time for owners and leasers to obtain a valid EPC when selling or letting.
There has recently been an extension of the transitional arrangements for Commercial EPC’s until 4 January 2009. (This date is significant in that it is the final date for implementation allowed under the EPBD).
In practice that means that any building on the market at 1st October 2008 that is 2,500sq meters or less will require the EPC either; (a). When let or sold, or (b). The 4th January 2009 whichever is the sooner. Buildings of more than 2,500sq meters that are on the market require the EPC now.
On construction: The constructor gives the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendations Report to the purchaser on physical completion of the building and notifies Building Control, who will not issue the Certificate of Completion until the EPC is provided.
On sale/rent: As soon as the building is offered for sale/rent the seller/landlord must make an EPC available to prospective buyers/tenants. The Energy Performance Certificate may be for the whole building or individual units, and completion of a contract should not happen without it. An EPC is required if the transaction has not completed before the implementation date above. Some multi-tenancy sale/rent scenarios are complex and you should seek advice from an accredited expert to determine whether an Energy Performance Certificate is required for the individual unit or the building as a whole.
On modification: The person undertaking the work is responsible for providing the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendations Report to the client. They must then notify Building Control, who will not issue the Certificate of Completion until the EPC is provided.

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) facts

There has recently been an extension of the transitional arrangements for commercial EPCs deferring long stop date to 4th January 2009 (this is the final date for implementation allowed under EPBD directive). In practice this means that any building currently on the market for sale or let that is 2,500sq meters or less will require an EPC by 4th January 2009 or when the sale or let is completed, whichever is the sooner. Larger buildings on the market require the EPC immediately.

1. According to the Government 50 per cent of the UK’s energy consumption arises from the country’s 25 million buildings. The Government supports the Kyoto Protocol and so is committed to reducing energy consumption. Improving the energy performance of our buildings will significantly help the country achieve our energy objectives.

2. EPC's are required for all "conditioned" commercial buildings over 50m² when they are sold, let, modified (building fabric or services) or constructed. A "conditioned" building is one with a roof and walls which uses energy to condition the indoor climate i.e. some levels of heating, mechanical ventilation or cooling.

3. Failure to provide an EPC can result in a fine of 12.5% of the rate value of the building up to a maximum of £5,000. Enforcement is carried out by local Trading Standards departments.

4. EPC's are not required on construction, sale or rent for:
Places of worship, temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than two years, stand alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m² that are not dwellings, industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with very low energy demand.

5. EPCs are not required on sale or rent for buildings due to be demolished. The seller or landlord should be able to demonstrate that: the building is to be sold or let with vacant possession; and the building is suitable for demolition and the resulting site is suitable for redevelopment; and they believe, on reasonable grounds, that a prospective buyer or tenant intends to demolish the building (e.g. on evidence of an application for planning permission).

6. An EPC is valid for ten years, or until a newer EPC is prepared. 

7. A building can either be the whole building or part of a building designed or altered to be used separately. The sale and let of commercial buildings can be complex with floors let to different tenants, and with a mixture of retail, office and residential accommodation. The EPC required for any space you offer for sale or let must reflect the accommodation on offer. 

8. Selling or letting a building as a whole?
You can prepare an EPC for the whole building, even if that building has parts designed or altered to be used separately with separate heating systems.

9. Selling of letting part of building, where the building has a common heating system ?
If a building has a common heating system, then the seller or prospective landlord can prepare (or make available) an EPC for the whole building or for a part designed or altered to be used separately. The EPC will be based on the energy consumption of the building apportioned in relation to the area of the accommodation being offered.

10.Buildings with separate parts and separate heating systems?
An EPC should be prepared (or made available) for each part of a building that is being offered separately for sale or let. The EPC should reflect the services in those part(s) being offered for sale or let and will include a portion of the energy consumption of any common areas that exist solely or mainly for access to the part.

11. Residential accommodation
Any separate residential accommodation that is self-contained will require its own EPC (using SAP or RdSAP as appropriate). Residential space that can only be accessed via commercial premises (i.e. a house with a shop in a downstairs room or a shop with accommodation where the access is through the shop) will be assessed with the commercial premises as a single building (where SBEM is more appropriate). 

12. Transitional arrangements provide that where non-dwellings of floor area 10,000 m² or more were on the market prior to 1st April 2008, they need to have an EPC by 1st October 2008. If they are rented or sold before then, the EPC must be provided as soon as is reasonably practicable. Similar provisions will apply to non-dwellings of floor area of 2,500 m² and more on the market before January 4th 2009.